Cheers to the first of my #MindfulnessMonday posts! I am planning to do at least two Mindfulness posts per month. I'm really looking forward to it. For some who have no idea what I'm talking about yet... keep reading!
What is mindfulness?
Mindfulness is something I have been learning more and more about the past few years. Basically it is being aware and intentional with a moment in time. Taking the time to notice what's around you, how you are feeling, and truly reconnecting with life. Through mindfulness you can experience peace, contentment, joy, and gratitude.
Mindfulness is a type of therapy that can help with awareness, sense of self, confidence, energy, as well as help eliminate feelings of stress, anxiety, depression, and judgement towards others and situations.
Practicing Mindfulness can look different for everyone, but one thing remains pretty constant: you choose to enter into a state of being rather than just existing or doing. I feel like a lot of people can relate to the fact that our society is full of workaholics and people who feel like we need to constantly be productive...it is so exhausting! Being productive is wonderful and I truly thrive off of my "to-do lists", but I also thrive off of peaceful + simple moments.
I love listening to podcasts that talk about Mindfulness while I am on a walk. I notice all the greenery and details in nature. I smile at the sun. I take deep breaths. All these things are so small, but very impactful. What also really helps me is yoga! I have been a lover of yoga for a while now and every time I am practicing I feel so calm and connected with myself.
For this first #MindfulnessMonday post I wanted to share 5 simple tips for beginning a Mindfulness journey of your own. There are so many things to touch on, but for now I will start with these. I hope you enjoy them and feel inspired!
Tips for you to try as you begin your own mindfulness journey
- Take a deep, slow breath when you wake up & before you close your eyes for bed. Trust me.
- Write down a list of things that you love or inspire you. What are some things that make you feel alive and happiest? How can you squeeze even just one into your day?
- Create an ongoing Gratitude List. Maybe do it at the end of the week. This gives you some intentional "me time" and allows you to remember the good things that are going on in your life. I believe being grateful is one of the most powerful qualities you can obtain.
- Make time to go on a long walk. Go on a walk, not a run. Running is so good for you, but walking is good for the body and soul. It forces you to slow down and notice what's around you. Listen to music or a podcast. Enjoy time to yourself.
- Intentionally listen to a friend. Next time you are having a conversation with a friend or loved one, really be intentional with listening rather than waiting to respond. Listen to what they have to say and be aware of their entire state of being. Notice their unique qualities that make them beautiful or quirky qualities that make you grateful they are your friend. And don't be afraid to tell them! :)
After trying all of these or even just one- tell me how it goes! I hope this benefits you and brings you peace + smiles. While you are watching fireworks tomorrow for 4th of July, remember to be present in the moment, enjoy the beauty and people around you.