Essential Oils + Why I Use Them
My journey with essential oils started spring 2017 as I was nearing the end of my first year of teaching. This past year has included me beginning a holistic wellness journey- regarding food, exercise, self love, and what products I was using. I always knew I wanted to invest in Young Living oils, but came up with excuses to wait. I am grateful I decided to take the plunge when I did because it helped create significant changes in my life that I believe are productive to share with you!
Pretty naturally, a lot of stress came with my first year of teaching...towards the end, my oils (especially Lavender, Stress Away and Eucalyptus!) really helped give me emotional and physical support for all of the stress and anxiety. On my way to work everyday I would put on my rollers and take several deep breaths- in those moments I am filled with peace and amazing smells.
All of these lovely oils in the above photo came with the starter kit! The Tangerine oil was a fun bonus. The Young Living Premium Starter Kit is how I began my oil journey. Each of these oils have amazing smells and purposes. I wanted to list out some ways for how I use my starter kit oils and their functions:
- Lavender - This is very calming and relaxing oil. Lavender has been around forever and has multiple uses. It is great for your skin due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agents. You really can put it anywhere! Bug bites, burns, scabs- Lavender (mixed in with a carrier oil like grapeseed or coconut oil) helps with all of these! Of course, diffusing lavender is amazing. It creates a calming environment- I love diffusing Lavender with Stress Away before bed.
- Peppermint - This smells amazing! I love to diffuse peppermint with Lemon. It is purifying and really helps with your attention and focus. This is one of those oils that you could cook with! A drop in your tea or baked goods would taste wonderful. Peppermint is definitely one of my favorite oils of all time.
- Purification - Purification is amazing!!! I have two kitties and diffusing this oil makes such a difference! You can also put a couple drops on a cotton ball and place it in your shoes or gym bag. This oil is cleansing and disinfecting. Just like Lavender, Purification works good too for cuts, scrapes or bites. Another great use is to add a few drops to your laundry detergent.
- Lemon - This oil is warm and fresh. Lemon can help to build your immune system and improve memory. Great for your digestive system to add a drop to a glass of water first thing in the morning. I always directly inhale it, but it's great for creating a clean and citrusy environment when diffusing. Lemon is also really good for your skin + acne. It can be used as a degreaser when added to your dishwasher.
- Stress Away - This is a great oil to use the roller ball (comes with the starter kit). I love rolling this onto my temples, wrists, chest or neck. This oil helps relieve stress and promote relaxation. I love pairing this one with either Lavender or Eucalyptus- whether diffusing or into a roller blend. Stress Away has really helped me with falling asleep quicker.
- Panaway - Oh. My. Goodness. Seriously I am obsessed with Panaway. Basically think "pain-away". This one smells amazing, like wintergreen forests, and works wonders for sore and tense muscles. I apply this daily on my shoulders (I think a lot of people carry their stress in the shoulders) and it really really helps. This oil has strong anti-inflammatory properties so its great for any type of pain. I love using it with some coconut oil for massages. Soooooo good!
- R.C. - This oil is seriously the holistic healer. It gives relief from colds, coughs, sore throats, sinus-infections, allergies and congestions. You can directly apply this on your neck, chest, throat, or sinus/temples. If it feels too strong you can always dilute it a little with some coconut oil. Diffusing this will aid with sleep too, especially when you are feeling sick!
- Digize - This oil is super powerful with fighting indigestion, heartburn, gas and bloating. I use this one directly on my tummy when I am experiencing painful cramps. It doesn't smell that great, but I get over that when I start to feel better within 5 minutes.
- Thieves - This is made of cinnamon and clove. This oil blend has powerful antibacterial and anti-infectious properties. This oil is wonderful for diffusing but more than that, it's so great for cleaning!! You can add a drop while you're scrubbing your counters. Thieves is also great for the immune system. You can rub it on the bottom of your feet to experience those benefits.
- Copaiba - This is another pain-relieving oil. This has greater anti-inflammatory action than ibuprofen or even cortisone. Combine this with Panaway and whatever is in pain is in for a treat! Rub on anything that is sore or hurts on your body. You can add a drop to your water (or your furry friends) to help with digestion.
- Frankincense - This is the king of all oils! Seriously, Frankincense has been around for so long and has so many different purposes. It is amazing for your skin- whether it be dry skin, acne, scarring, wrinkles, or just a daily moisturizer. I have eczema and Frankincense has really helped! It has caner fighting agents as well as immune stimulating properties that aid with depression. It is definitely a mood uplifter, so if you are experiencing stress I would apply a little to your wrist and temples for relief.
Through Young Living you can receive amazing custom Monthly Wellness Boxes! For my first one I got all the citrusy/summer oils and I am still obsessed! Grapefruit and Eucalyptus Globulus are my top two favorites. Daily I am making new combos with these and diffusing them. I have three diffusers in our apartment and adore coming home to a space with fresh scents. A perfect moment for me is reading in my apartment with sun flooding the room, Grapefruit + other citrusy oils diffusing, and flowers in a vase. Doesn't that sound dreamy? :) Seriously my oils make me feel like I am somewhere else... don't mind me, just taking mini vacations everytime I close my eyes and breathe them in!
I LOVE making rollers with essential oils! I use grapeseed oil as my filler because it's great for sensitive-skin people like me. I also make a skin "serum" using Lavender, Lemon, + Frankincense and Jojoba oil. After I wash my face I put that on at night- it smells AMAZING and helps scarring on my skin, so win-win! I also started making little sprays like room freshening or pillow mist by just mixing essential oil and water. SO much better than crap/chemical-filled Fabreeze spray!
Why Young Living oils?
I know there are essential oils all over- in the grocery store or Walmart, but quality really does matter. I just think it's worth investing some money into quality products that you are using all over your body versus grabbing the $4 bottle that you know nothing about. You can end up doing more harm using random essential oils because they are not regulated, meaning anyone can add fillers and call it an essential oil. Young Living essential oils are 100% therapeutic grade. It only takes 20 minutes after applying oils for them to be found in every cell in your body! How crazy is that!?
I feel really confident being apart of Young Living's huge community filled with people worldwide who trust their products because they are clean, safe, and effective. Coming from someone who has really sensitive skin and struggled with it my whole life, I really feel like I don't have to question anything with these products, and that feels amazing!